Date: June 21, 2011 Tuesday, 8:30 PM
What: Book Club meeting
Where: Common Roots Cafe, 2558 South Lyndale Avenue, Minneapolis
The book club will discuss Sigurd Olson's Reflections from the North Country.
We will meet in the community room (very back of the restaurant) at Common Roots Cafe. See www.commonrootscafe.com. There is a small parking lot next to the restaurant, but it's likely that you'll need to find street parking. Carpooling or public transportation is a good idea, if feasible.
After we get settled in (including ordering dinner, for those who are interested), we can get to know each other a bit and then talk about the book. Before we leave we'll pick the book for next time.
Please bring suggestions to the meeting (non-fiction, about nature, ideally 300 pages or less). Titles on the list for future consideration:
- Mycelium Running by Paul Stamets
- Biomimicry: Innovation Inspired by Nature by Janine Benyus
- The Big Burn: Teddy Roosevelt and the Fire that Saved America by Timothy Egan
- Hawk of Mercy by N.H. Brodsky
- Boundary Waters: The Grace of the Wild (The World as Home) by Paul Gruchow
- A Plague of Frogs: Unraveling an Envrionmental Mystery by William Sonder
- Last Child in the Woods: Saving Our Children from Nature-deficit Disorder by Richard Louv
- Living on the Wind: Across the Hemisphere with Migratory Birds by Scott Weidensaul (too long?)
- Simple Prosperity: Finding Real Wealth in a Sustainable Lifestyle by David Wann
- Water Wars: Privatization, Pollution and Profit by Vandana Shiva